This section is concerned with Artificial Intelligence education and technology, with a particular focus on areas where the study of AI itself (rather than mere thinking about AI) can bring philosophical benefits. Although it includes some material on the Turing Test and Chinese Room thought-experiments (which are both associated with Natural Language Processing), it does not generally cover meta-studies or philosophical discussion about AI, which can be found through the following links: Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, Philosophy of Mind, Philosophy of Artificial Life, Philosophy of Computation, and Philosophy of Information.
Learning about Artificial Intelligence
This site is the home of the Elizabeth educational chatterbot, an automated conversation program designed to provide an enjoyable and easy introduction to natural language processing, and also to give insight on the plausibility of the Turing Test and Chinese Room thought-experiments. The system has sufficient power to permit the handling of complex grammatical transformations and resolution theorem-proving, and is packaged with self-teaching materials designed for the non-specialist.
Topics within Artificial Intelligence
Currently many of the items below simply link to the relevant section of the annotated bibliography provided by the Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence, or to the online Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy. Over time, they are likely to be replaced by links to specialist pages within this site, drawing attention to significant points and providing additional links.
- Natural Language Processing
- The Turing Test and Searle's "Chinese Room" (see also Thinking Matter)
- Automated Reasoning
- The Frame Problem (Stanford Encyclopedia)
- Emergence (from aitopics.org)
- Connectionism (Stanford Encyclopedia)
- Ethics & Social Issues (from aitopics.org)
- Inductive Learning (from aitopics.org)
- Machine Learning (from aitopics.org)
- Representation & Reasoning (from aitopics.org)
- Robots (from aitopics.org)
- Vision (from aitopics.org)
Co-founder of the field of Artificial Intelligence